[linux-audio-user] More Homemade Music --

Steve D groups at xscd.com
Mon Jul 4 10:36:35 EDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 09:02:38AM +0100, james at dis-dot-dat.net wrote:

> [...] That, and I
> can't separate making music and producing music.  To me, "over
> produced" is like saying "over musical".  Which is nonsense.

To me, any creative act or exercise is like the attempted realization of
an ideal of some sort. The conceptual ideal must exist first. In the
attempt to realize or materialize that ideal, there often can be reached
a point at which further effort can make the product less rather than
more an embodiment of the ideal.

Any good artist needs to know when to stop fiddling and fussing with his
or her work (at least for a time), or risk marring it with overwork. ;-)
That's what I personally meant by "overproduction."

> Anyway.  I loved the track, but the sounds grate a little.
>
> Just a thought though - how old are you (Steve)?

I'm old James: 53 this year.  Regarding the sounds in that Lonesome
Butte piece being "grating," maybe I'm losing some of my hearing in some
frequency ranges. Do the sounds have too much a sharp high-frequency
edge?

> It could be a generational thing - I'm 26 and I've listened to
> overproduced music all my life.  Most of the kind of music I listen to
> seems to have over production built in from the outset.  Although I
> wouldn't call it over production - I'd just say it's making what would
> traditionally be called production into just another musical device.

That seems like a valid viewpoint. Production as a creative activity.
;-)

-sd