[linux-audio-user] A whole new type of project for me

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Mon Jul 4 16:12:34 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-04 at 20:31 +0100, anahata wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 11:29:47AM -0400, Joe Hartley wrote:
>
> > Can anyone point me to a Linux-based tool that will allow me to work
> > with the soundtrack on this type of DVD?
>
> I believe Cinelerra is the standard Linux tool for video editing. I've

There aren't really things as "standard tools" for Linux. Cinelerra is a
tool for non-linear video editing, quite like Ardour, but for video
instead of audio.

> never used it, but I'd imagine that editing in separately recorded audio
> soundtrack material must be among its capabilities.

>From what i gathered, the original poster needed to create soundscape
for a finished, already cut video piece. You don't need fully-fledged
video editing software for creating the audio for this.

xjadeo + ardour has been used by at least a few people with good
results. xjadeo seems perfect except for one problem, it seems to be
really picky about what type of video files it plays, so you might need
to transcode the video file to the correct format before being able to
play it with xjadeo.

The basic idea behind xjadeo is simple. It syncs to jack transport, so
it will stay in sync with ardour. Or any other jack transport enabled
software, like muse.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xjadeo/

--
Sampo Savolainen <v2 at iki.fi>