[linux-audio-user] Collaboration (was: More Homemade...)

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Thu Jul 7 07:04:37 EDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 10:50:40AM +0100, james at dis-dot-dat.net wrote:

> Wow.  I liked the original and this new version is superb, too.

:)

> I loev this kind of music - intricate beats make me smile - but for
> some reason I rarely attempt to create anything like it.  I tend to
> get fed up with endless twiddling and moving drums.
>
> Do either of you have any hints?

Just don't move and twiddle drums endlessly ;-)
Get some drumloop (or create one yourself) and create samples from
it starting on the 2nd, 3rd ... quarter and on 'and' positions after
2nd or 3rd quarter. Play them from a keyboard, experiment with
transposing them, using the same sample pitched differently.

If you want to program a drumloop to be sampled like above, try to
make it funky (1/16 pulse), with a much slower tempo as the final
one. Transposition and/or time-stretching makes for more interesting
results.

For programming breakbeats directly, think about the results of
triggering drumloop parts on varying 1/8 note postions. Program
velocity and perhaps micro-timing accordingly.
Choose a beat and don't put any snare or bass drum on it, like
playing around the 4. Or use the bass drum instead of the snare
and the other way around for part of the drumloop.

Hope that helps!

---
Thorsten Wilms