[linux-audio-user] 2x RME Multifaces, ALSA, JACK & Ardour -> XRUNS?

Edwin Peer edwin at peer.co.za
Fri Jul 8 11:34:29 EDT 2005

On Friday 08 July 2005 16:20, Frank smith wrote:

> I use 16 tracks on 2 adats into the PC running Fervent Software.

What is Fervent?

> You may be able to borrow a Fervent CD and try this and see if you still
> get the xruns.

That sounds like a great idea, I've even been tempted to install Windows on
the box just to see if the Windows software can handle the hardware
configuration. But that's not an ideal solution - since I would have to trash
the existing data on the machine to do it.

> I was under the impression that the RME multi's were fully supported in
> Linux.

They are. I think. Using only one of the two cards works fine.

> Have you insured you have the RME drivers installed and loaded?

I think so. HDSPConf see's both of them. I can also capture from both. The
only problem is the XRUNs.

> Are you running 64bit?

Yes, is that a problem?

> Your systems seems more than adequate for recording to Ardour.

I thought so too, but I'm really struggling with this. :(

I've been doing some further investigating...

I gather there are two places where XRUNs happen:

1) ALSA <--> JACK
2) JACK <--> JACK client

>From what I've been seeing when I play with the IRQ, JACK and qjackctl
priorites with chrt and the realtime-preempt kernel, I can cause the first
type by making the IRQ priority lower than JACK. jackd -v logs this as an
alsa XRUN. The second type is the problem I'm experiencing. Nothing shows in
the jackd -v output, but the client (qjackctl) sees XRUNs - usually a hundred
or so of them every few seconds.

:espeer:

--
#include http://www.peer.co.za/~espeer/disclaimer.html