[linux-audio-user] DeMudi + security

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sat Jul 9 06:00:11 EDT 2005

Last Saturday 09 July 2005 04:44, Lee Revell was like:
> On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 03:43 +0200, Esben Stien wrote:
> > anahata <anahata at treewind.co.uk> writes:
> > > There is a school of thought that says an audio machine shouldn't be
> > > connected to a network at all (minimize services for best latency
> > > and CPU availability for audio, is the logic)
> >
> > Rubbish;). If your prioritized processes are interrupted by other
> > processes, then there is something wrong with the system.
>
> Agreed, that "school of thought" is based on crappy OS'es like Windows.
>
> Most of the "system tuning" you read about on Windows and Mac audio
> sites does not apply to a modern Linux system.

If you're running low-end recycled hardware, like I do, minimising services
helps give you a bit more operational headroom. I don't know about the
theory, this is from practical experience - it only really makes a noticeable
difference when I'm running Rosegarden or JAMin. Otherwise I use this machine
for everything, with a permanent network connection. Most of the system
tuning that has been suggested is done during A/DeMuDi installation anyway.

cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk