[linux-audio-user] yet more music

james at dis-dot-dat.net james at dis-dot-dat.net
Sat Jul 9 11:07:30 EDT 2005

On Sat, 09 Jul, 2005 at 11:07AM -0400, Dave Phillips spake thus:
> james at dis-dot-dat.net wrote:
>
> >This is something I started a while ago, and only just got around to
> >finishing.
> >
> >http://dis-dot-dat.net/content/music/justtwo.ogg
> >
> Good mix, sounds like it could be a good backing track for vocals or an
> improv.
>
> >I starting to think guitar lessons would be a good idea.  I love using
> >them, but since I can't actually play, I have to do it the long way
> >and they always sound a bit too regular.
> >

> Someone else mentioned that the guitar sounds too clean. I'd say its
> problem is its lack of expressive technique, it's a major problem for
> any sequenced guitar tracks. The guitar is normally played in such a way
> that most notes receive some sort of expression from the player, usually
> a finger vibrato or some other slight pitch variation (bends,
> glissandi). These articulations aren't impossible to program, but they
> do take time and detailed effort to make the part sound realistic. Of
> course, if you're not going for realism there's no problem. :)

I have a track called creamcheese
(http://dis-dot-dat.net/content/music/creamcheese.ogg) in which I
tried this.  I like the sound, but it was fiddly.  Have a listen, it's
towards the end, when the guitar starts to bend (try 3m30s).

> Rather than taking lessons you might just want to pick up a good book on
> orchestration and instrumentation. My personal favorite is H. Blatter's
> book but there are plenty to choose from. And of course it also pays to
> hang out with players of other instruments to get a better idea of their
> basic techniques.

I might have a look at that book anyway, but I still intend to learn
to play.  I have a guitar, just no time.

Just checking amazon - do you mean A. Blatter?

> All of which may not matter at all if you don't intend a "realistic"
> effect. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Don't you just love making
> music with computers ? :)

Oh, yes!

> Thanks for music (again), James !

Thanks for the comments.  Appreciated as always.

James

> Best regards,
>
> dp

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)