[linux-audio-user] Re: Audio sandbox..

James Stone jmstone at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Jul 9 15:07:01 EDT 2005

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 18:34:47 +0200, Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 04:40:53PM +0100, James Stone wrote:
>>
>> I may be really underestimating the complexity here, but it seems to me
>> that the best way to achieve this would be to have a kind of sub-shell
>> or sub-window manager sandbox just for the audio apps. You then launch
>> the apps within this, and have the ability to save state ( which just
>> replicates your actions within the window for a future session).
>
> Saving state is not all simple. What to do with audio files from a daw or
> in a sample editor? If there are changes not currently saved, you have to
> save them on closing/saving the session. Not that such issues can't be
> dealt with in a sensible way.

Yes I realise that patch loading is a problem, but I would personally find
a program that started up all the audio apps I was using, with the correct
audio and midi connections very helpful. If there was a notepad window to
remind me which patches to load, that would be even better (a bit clunky I
know, but pretty useful).

>> So what do you all think? possible? impossible? already done?
>
> http://lash-audio-session-handler.org/
>
> The project is pretty much in deep freeze, even though several developers
> are interested in it. There has been quite some talk in the #lad irc
> channel.

Yes, the laddca/lash thing never seemed to quite make it. I think the fact
that programs need to be laddca aware is a big problem with it, but if it
became universally used, it would be the ideal solution.

James