[linux-audio-user] yet more music

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Sun Jul 10 04:03:53 EDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-10 at 08:16 +0100, james at dis-dot-dat.net wrote:

> This is something I almost always forget to do.  Everything is always
> centre stage and stereo in my tracks is usually only from reverb.
> Must remember to do this in future.  Thanks for that.

Yup. See my comment to your other, earlier song.

> Distortion was most definitely used on purpose, but if you think
> there's some that sounds out of place, then it could be something I
> didn't put there.  Can you be a little more specific?  Which sound,
> and where, is distorted?

(scratching my head) This afternoon it sounded much worse, now I'm less
inclined to find faults.

E.g. the sound that's at 03:01 ... 03:02
It seems like it was sent through a bad preamp or something. I "feel"
what you were trying to say by using distortion there, but maybe I would
use a different _kind_ of distortion.

I dunno... I listened with a very critical ear at first. Now I'm ready
to go to sleep and I'm more at peace with the world. :-)

It would be interesting to re-listen to it after spacing out the sound
stage with a lot more panning.

> It could be that some of the sounds overlap
> too much in frequency.

Well, that's a classic issue, isn't it?

> True, but doing Kraftwek-style stuff now would perhaps be a bit
> cheesy.  Kinda like going back to mid-90's rave tracks and just
> speeding up some old song or themetune and adding a break-kneck beat.
> Although, now I've said it, I'd love to have a go at that.  I have a
> real soft spot for the old "bangin' choons".  Where did I put that
> Smart E's record?

(thumbs-up)

Keep us posted on that. ;-)

--