[linux-audio-user] Re: Call for collaboration

jmstone at dsl.pipex.com jmstone at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Jul 12 10:19:30 EDT 2005

james at dis-dot-dat.net wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul, 2005 at 11:33AM +0200, Christian Schumann spake thus:
>> Hi James,
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 10:20:30AM +0100, james at dis-dot-dat.net wrote:
>> > I've been going back over some stuff I did a while ago, and found
>> > something that I decided to take in a slightly different direction.
>> >
>> > I have a rough cut of the new track at
>> > http://dis-dot-dat.net/content/music/sv_WIP.ogg
>> >
>> > What I want now is a collaborator or collaborators.  Mainly vocals and
>> > guitars.
>> >
>> > There're plenty of open spaces in the track for focusing on the new
>> > parts, so you can show off in the breaks.
>> >
>> > If anyone would care to have a listen and knock up some parts, I'll
>> > fiddle with putting them in the track.
>> >
>> > Vocalist must bring own "lyrical skillz" - I've tried writing lyrics
>> > before and ended up with the most puerile and naive drivel.
>> >
>> > I hope someone takes the bait, er, I mean opportunity; it would be
>> > interesting to see how something like this would work.
>> I downloaded it, and I kinda like it. I think I can come up with some
>> guitars to that. I did some fiddling around to the track Thorsten posted
>> some time ago, but did not post anything of it, since I was not that
>> satisfied with my playing on it.
>>
>> My vocal abilities are just enough to sing some background in my band.
>> So I won't do any vocals for that. But in order to get along with vocals
>> it would be better for a potential vocalist to come with some lines
>> first, so I can accompany them and we don't get into each others way.
>
> I agree that working together rather than in turn is probably best, I
> wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a vocalist.
>
> Singing is a lot more personal than playing or composing and I think
> people will be far less likely to come forward and bare themselves.
>
> I hope somone proves me wrong, of course!
>
>> I'll take the track home tonight and see with what I can come up. I
>> think I can post that tomorrow.
>
> That's great.  I very nearly wrote about what kind of thing I'm
> looking for in the original mail, but then decided not to.  If I
> specified the kind of sound I'm after, it would influence people and
> give us less room to explore.
>
> I'll share later, of course and maybe what I'm expecting and what you
> intend to do will match up.  Either way, it should be fun.

Really nice backing track!

In my opinion, the best vocal accompaniment to this track would be a
spoken voice piece, preferably with a scottish accent (think a cross
between Iggy Pop and Prolapse in their more laid-back phases, possibly
Coil). If I think of some good lyrics I will certainly have a go, but
I don't think South-Eastern UK accent is quite so up there in the cool
stakes!

I'm sure there are hundreds of other ways to go with this track
though. It will be interesting to see what people come up with.

James