[linux-audio-user] [ANN] Specimen v0.5.0 and PHAT v0.3.0

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Mon Jul 11 03:47:30 EDT 2005

Last Sunday 10 July 2005 18:07, Florin Andrei was like:
> On Sun, 2005-07-10 at 17:41 +0200, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> > > Thanks again for your work on Specimen.  It continues to be
> > > one of the very few "Linux audio" programs that I actually
> > > find useful.
> >
> > waht about all the other applications around? Do you not need
> > them or is it too difficult to use them?
> >
> > There are several very useful programs, so I wonder why only
> > Specimen (cool app, BTW) appears useful to you. What about
> > Ardour, Zyn, MusE, Rosegarden, ...?
>
> I think I can see what Dave is saying.
> It's not like Specimen is extraordinary (but it is extraordinary) and
> the rest are crap (they're definitely not crap). It's just that for a
> certain type of tasks it's pretty much the best kid on the block:
> analytically playing one sample only.

Yeah, I didn't feel that Dave was slagging any other applications. Maybe using
a rather narrow definition of 'useful'. If I want to use samples, I'm going
to look at specimen first. If specimen doesn't do what I want, then I might
consider using one of the more complex applications. I think Pete deserves
some kudos for his work and this should not be seen as any slight on the
great work going on in other departments.

cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk