[linux-audio-user] Re: Call for collaboration

Shayne O'Connor forums at machinehasnoagenda.com
Tue Jul 12 23:22:07 EDT 2005

james at dis-dot-dat.net wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul, 2005 at 02:19PM +0000, jmstone at dsl.pipex.com spake thus:
>
>>james at dis-dot-dat.net wrote:
>>
>>>On Tue, 12 Jul, 2005 at 11:33AM +0200, Christian Schumann spake thus:

>>>I agree that working together rather than in turn is probably best, I
>>>wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a vocalist.
>>>
>>>Singing is a lot more personal than playing or composing and I think
>>>people will be far less likely to come forward and bare themselves.
>>>
>>>I hope somone proves me wrong, of course!

>>>That's great.  I very nearly wrote about what kind of thing I'm
>>>looking for in the original mail, but then decided not to.  If I
>>>specified the kind of sound I'm after, it would influence people and
>>>give us less room to explore.
>>>
>>>I'll share later, of course and maybe what I'm expecting and what you
>>>intend to do will match up.  Either way, it should be fun.
>>>

>>Really nice backing track!
>>
>>In my opinion, the best vocal accompaniment to this track would be a
>>spoken voice piece, preferably with a scottish accent (think a cross
>>between Iggy Pop and Prolapse in their more laid-back phases, possibly
>>Coil).
>

> Interesting.  I was thinking more like muffled, soulful, slow-paced
> singing with lingering notes, cutting to sparkly, faster, more urgent
> pieces when everything crashes back in.  Sigur Ros meets Portishead
> and Bjork.
>

>>If I think of some good lyrics I will certainly have a go, but
>>I don't think South-Eastern UK accent is quite so up there in the cool
>>stakes!
>

> Haha, well it's better than what I've got - High-speed dumb-sounding
> Blackcountry.
>
> Ow am ya?
>

>>I'm sure there are hundreds of other ways to go with this track
>>though. It will be interesting to see what people come up with.
>

> Yup, I can't wait.

ok, i've got some lyrics to this ... just a few more lines ... gonna
just bring this into ardour for the moment and try singing it ... post
it in a few hours (maybe .... these kids are driving me nuts!).

not sure if it fits any of the styles mentioned, and as i've said before
- "i can't sing" - but anyway ...

shayne