[linux-audio-user] Call for collaboration

Shayne O'Connor forums at machinehasnoagenda.com
Wed Jul 13 20:51:09 EDT 2005

james at dis-dot-dat.net wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul, 2005 at 10:25AM +0200, Christian Schumann spake thus:
>
>>On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 01:17:42PM +0100, james at dis-dot-dat.net wrote:
>>
>>>On Tue, 12 Jul, 2005 at 11:33AM +0200, Christian Schumann spake thus:

>>>That's great.  I very nearly wrote about what kind of thing I'm
>>>looking for in the original mail, but then decided not to.  If I
>>>specified the kind of sound I'm after, it would influence people and
>>>give us less room to explore.
>>>
>>>I'll share later, of course and maybe what I'm expecting and what you
>>>intend to do will match up.  Either way, it should be fun.
>>
>>Ok, see what I came up with on
>>
>>http://maitre.physik.uni-kl.de/~schumann/sv_WIP_guitar.ogg
>>
>>I have to apologize first for the bad timing, but it's been late at
>>night, after a hard work in the lab.
>>This is just some ideas I had, I don't know if this is what you
>>expected. Now that Shayne wrote that he might have some lyrics for that,
>>I would give it another try after I have something with vocals.
>>
>>I was kind of unsure whether to do some more clean comping with delay,
>>or more of a full-on distorted rock guitar. So tell me what you think.
>>
>>Christian
>

> Bloody hell!
>
> That sounds amazing!  It's not what I was expecting at all, but I'm
> very very excited about it.
>
> Do you have the guitar parts recorded separately?  I'll put them in
> with the rest of the stuff, get the levels right and shufty things
> around so that they get the space they need in places.
>
> I love where this is going.
>
> I wonder what Shayne's been up to?

http://blog.machinehasnoagenda.com/files/sv_WIP_vocals.ogg

this is just a *very* rough copy of what i hear for this track ...
haven't had *any* time to polish it or learn how to sing it properly:
hence, some of the more, er, "intense' parts may sound a little
strained, etc ... but i wanted to throw this up so others could give me
feedback, or if they wanted to do backing tracks, or even sing it
themselves ...

here are the lyrics:

Even though we had to wait,
the shadows were receding
along the shorelines of Fate.
You turned just to say that you hate me.

ooh ooh ooh hey hoo

Last time we attempted to leave,
the tide had been stronger
and the river was no longer
than our love.

Even though our lips are sown
Our bodies keep breathing,
We keep leaking, from our bones,
Centuries of Meaning.

So much longer now
So much longer now

this is fun!

shayne

ps (it's just uploading now, but i've got to go out - so give it ten
minutes if it don't work)