[linux-audio-user] Re: Mellotron sounds

Juhana Sadeharju kouhia at nic.funet.fi
Thu Jul 14 11:45:36 EDT 2005

>From: "Greg Wilder" <greg at gregwilder.com>
>
>I'd be very interested in reading the research papers.

Good to hear more people are interested in the matter.

It looks like the legal way to have the Mellotron samples
is to re-create the sounds. Remember that the particular tapes
were re-mastered. The copyright is as new as the re-masters.
(But Project Gutenberg list had a posting on a recent court
case which could indicate different.)

BTW, we already could create a nice set of similar sounds using
physical modeling and the like. Nord Modular has good patches
freely available.

How important it is to have the original Mellotron sounds? Mellotron
is well known from songs like White Satin (by who?) but the guy
recorded his own violin sounds. Why would we be happy with the
factory sounds if he was not?

I will put together a collection of papers after the summer heat
has cooled down.

Juhana