[linux-audio-user] Re: Music --

Steve D groups at xscd.com
Fri Jul 15 09:13:10 EDT 2005

Thank you Thorsten and Arnold for your comments.

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 10:44:23AM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
> [...]
> Is that a real grand piano or a sample? (which sample?)
>
> Arnold
--- --- ---

At first, because of recent discussion on the list about using all Linux
software and no external hardware (where do you draw the line?  Should a
musician give up his guitar or MIDI keyboard or sax?) I was going to do
this entirely within Linux except for the MIDI data stream (no audio)
from my Yamaha P90 digital piano into the computer.

I found two patches in ZynAddSubFX that sounded great layered, the "Soft
Arpeggio3" and the "Ice Rhodes2," but every time I recorded the piece
routing the audio output of ZynAddSubFX through Jack to Rezound, I would
receive just one or two brief overruns. These became frustrating, so I
instead reluctantly resorted to using one of the sounds from one of my
external MIDI tone generators, the SRX-02 "Concert Piano" expansion
boand in my Roland FantomXR, routing the audio into the computer via an
M-Audio Delta 1010 sound card.

However, I must say that I was very impressed with the sounds that
ZynAddSubFX produces and I hope to do more study and resolve Jack's
overrun issue because I would very much like to record using "soft
synths" such as ZynAddSubFX.

-sd