[linux-audio-user] what distro do you use?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Sun Jul 17 17:49:56 EDT 2005

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 06:58:36PM +0200, paniq at paniq.org wrote:
> a simple poll for your ml people here:
>
> a.) what (linux) distribution do you use?

Gentoo.

> b.) does the distribution that you use supply a lot of audio-related packages
> by default?

Yes. There are currently 301 packages in the media-sound category,
not counting different versions of the same package.

> c.) do you consider the distribution that you use to be notably adequate for
> audio production? why?

Yes. Most of the stuff I want "just works".  The kernels come with
a good set of patches that I haven't had to tweak. (I do have to
configure and build my own kernel, but at least I don't have to patch).

And when occasionally I need to be bleeding-edge, it's trivial to
install a not-yet-stable version of some package.  When not even that is
enough, the "emerge inject" command allows me to build software by hand
and tell the package system "don't worry, I've got this one covered".
This is the best mix of stability and bleeding-edge I've found so far.

The drawback is that package installation really does take  a lot longer
than any other distro I've tried.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com