[linux-audio-user] Re: Music --

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 17 18:12:23 EDT 2005

Hi,

--- Steve D <groups at xscd.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 08:40:39PM +0200, Arnold
> Krille wrote:
> > [...] And I think
> > "demo-songs" showing exactly this are good too.
> Especially if they
> > sound great like your piece or like the recording
> "Cold Duck" that Ron
> > Parker posted some months ago!
>
> I agree about "Cold Duck." Ron's mixing and
> mastering on that piece
> sound like magic.
>
> That piece alone has inspired me to find and read
> everything I can that
> Ron has written and posted on the 'net, and to
> research mixing and
> mastering, and using Ardour and Jamin, etc. I've
> listened to Cold Duck
> over and over, many many times. Thank you Ron for
> offering such a
> wonderful example of how incredibly good mixing and
> mastering can sound
> and the high level of expertise that one can at
> least aspire to.

It feels good to know you enjoy it.  What pleases me
about that production is the band. They aren't
flawless, they never rehearsed, but they are talented
players. They rock my world!

The Cold Duck recording is a live production done in a
bar. I used my Tascam DM-24 to record which, as
expected, has crappy preamps. Consequently the quality
of the printed tracks does not compare with what I
consistently produce in the studio where we've got mid
level grade preamps.

I think the cool thing for all of us is that we can
learn to produce very good quality sound with whatever
gear we own. You don't need to own a $5,000.00 vocal
signal path to make yourself sound excellent. It helps
alot to have high end gear when you need to
consistently produce great results for many other
people. Everyone of us can learn to do great things
with the gear we own.

I'm psyched about all the music production that's
happening on the list. I think my old band is about to
do a new album. I want to join the fun.

ron