[linux-audio-user] what distro do you use?

Arnold Krille arnold.krille at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 19:04:27 EDT 2005

Hi, want to chime in to the gentoo-fan-singing:

On 7/17/05, paniq at paniq.org <paniq at paniq.org> wrote:
> a.) what (linux) distribution do you use?

The one and only Gentoo!!!

> b.) does the distribution that you use supply a lot of audio-related packages
> by default?

Yeah, and if it doesn't I write my own ebuilds or just install the
cvs-versions in my homedir (which isn't needed for a lot of apps thats
for sure!).

> c.) do you consider the distribution that you use to be notably adequate for
> audio production? why?

As you do everything yourself it is you and only you who decides which
services do run and which settings are made. So you get a very slink
and lean and fast and optimised system.
And as you have to wait for every package to compile, you don't
install many packages just for fun. At least not on your
music-machine...

Altough gentoo is great for everyone willing to learn about linux or
already deeply involved, gentoo isn't a distribution for the
beginners...

Arnold

--
Wenn man mit Raubkopien Bands wie Brosis oder Britney Spears wirklich
verhindern könnte, würde ich mir noch heute einen Stapel Brenner und