[linux-audio-user] alsa midi processor again

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Tue Jul 19 09:05:58 EDT 2005

Peter Brinkmann wrote:

>>However, there's a nice project just waiting for an enterprising Linux
>>audio/MIDI app developer: a software equivalent to the Yamaha MEP4 (MIDI
>>event processor). The MEP4 was a rechannelizer, splitter, MIDI event
>>filter/modifier, etc. It was great fun to use and very handy around the
>>hardware MIDI studio. Google for ' Yamaha MEP4' for more info.
>>

>This sort of thing should be easy to implement using my Python bindings
>for the ALSA sequencer. I don't have time to do this right now, but if
>someone wants to give it a try (Atte?), I'd be more than happy to help.

Hi Peter:

  Perhaps an MEP4 manual, its MIDI implementation chart, and your
MidiKinesis code would be enough to get someone started ? A nice FLTK
GUI would be sweet too.

  Holborn's excellent midirgui might provide a good starting point for
basic design, it already provides channel filtering and redirection.
It's a sweet MIDI utility, very helpful here at Studio Dave, and I'd
love to see it expanded to accommodate more MIDI processing functions.

Best,

dp