[linux-audio-user] where to begin or where's the beginning begin?

Richard Hubbell richard.hubbell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 01:17:45 EDT 2005

On 7/19/05, Jorge Salgueiro <jorge.salgueiro at gmail.com> wrote:> 2005/7/19, Richard Hubbell <richard.hubbell at gmail.com>:> > Very new to sound input and linux.  I've listened to music on linux> > but recording and manipulating sound is all new to me.   I'm just> > going to put into words what I'd like to do and take it from there.  I> > have an electric guitar and I'd like to record riffs and then apply> > software filters (right word? maybe software effects?)  to the riffs> > to give them a different sound.  I'd like to be able to edit them,> > save them and record them to disc (cd/dvd).  I'd also like to be able> > to record singing and sound effects.   I have read the archives a bit> > and I saw a July thread about hardware but the original poster had his> > thread hijacked and it went a little astray.> > A good starting point would be the readme.txt of a/demudi music distro> it is on the wiki
Do you have a link, I looked all overhttp://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/ and didn't see that.
> > well start to try to understand jack audio server its the main piece> of a pro-audio linux box
I've been seeing a lot of mention of JACK and will investigate for certain.
> > its very simple to work with qjackctl (jack control)> > to record multitrack the best option is ardour. You can plug effects> with lapsca (like vst for linux)> > to have realtime effects creox or jack-rack
I will look at all of these.
For a little more one could get the 66 is it worth it to get digital i/o?
> > > Do I need one box or several?  I don't want to spend a lot to start> > but would like to have something that's made reasonably well.  If I> > have to put together my setup over time then that's what I'll do so I> > don't have to layout a big chunk of money at the start.  So maybe> > first I'll get the guitar connected and then later get the mic and get> > it connected.  Then next get recording device(s).   And so on, to> > build a complete system over time but still get quality components as> > I go so that in the end I have an all-around quality system.> >> > My concerns are compatibility with linux and the software that runs on> > linux.  Compatibility amongst the different components and> > compatibility with the popular storage mediums.  i.e. cd/dvd> > no prob with dvd/cd> > try the agnula live cd to see if everything works. Have to say that is> a very stripped down version of this distro. Doesn't includes the> realtime kernel.
I will also have a look at this too.  I think any kernel can be configured to bea real-time kernel.   But what's the argument for a real-time kernel? What problemdoes it solve?  Is it some sort of interrupt latency issue or something?