[linux-audio-user] where to begin or where's the beginning begin?

Richard Hubbell richard.hubbell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 01:53:49 EDT 2005

On 7/19/05, John Mulholland <johnmulholland at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Richard Hubbell wrote:
>
> >Very new to sound input and linux.  I've listened to music on linux
> >but recording and manipulating sound is all new to me.   I'm just
> >going to put into words what I'd like to do and take it from there.  I
> >have an electric guitar and I'd like to record riffs and then apply
> >software filters (right word? maybe software effects?)  to the riffs
> >to give them a different sound.  I'd like to be able to edit them,
> >save them and record them to disc (cd/dvd).  I'd also like to be able
> >to record singing and sound effects.   I have read the archives a bit
> >and I saw a July thread about hardware but the original poster had his
> >thread hijacked and it went a little astray.
> >
> >I know there are a few hardware vendors who's products work well on
> >linux.  But I'm trying to get some solid advice from folks who are
> >using hardware to do what I want to do.
> >
> >Do I need one box or several?  I don't want to spend a lot to start
> >but would like to have something that's made reasonably well.  If I
> >have to put together my setup over time then that's what I'll do so I
> >don't have to layout a big chunk of money at the start.  So maybe
> >first I'll get the guitar connected and then later get the mic and get
> >it connected.  Then next get recording device(s).   And so on, to
> >build a complete system over time but still get quality components as
> >I go so that in the end I have an all-around quality system.
> >
> >My concerns are compatibility with linux and the software that runs on
> >linux.  Compatibility amongst the different components and
> >compatibility with the popular storage mediums.  i.e. cd/dvd
> >
> >Over time I would be willing to spend $1000-2000 for something that
> >will last and do a good job for me.   But I don't want to spend it all
> >now.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Richard
> >

> Perhaps another way to approach the hardware question would be to ask
> what you would need in a non linux setup, and then look to like for its
> linux comparison. You seem unsure of  using hardware or software to
> drive the effects you'd like to use. Do you have a preference eaither way?

I guess I don't, I don't know enough to yet.  I think that I'll go
with the cheapest solution to start and then try other things if I
need to.

> Software will be cheaper, but some may argue, produces less professional
> results. Personally, I'd go software all the way, and have a studio that
> is almost entirely software run. The Behringer mixer suggested is an
> excellent piece of kit and well worth you checking out. You may also

I will look at that, especially since I've no idea what it is yet.

> want to consider getting a controller keyboard - even if you dont play
> piano - they can be invaluable.

DOn't know what that means, but will find out I'm sure as a I go.

> You could have ten or twenty or a thousand little linux boxes each
> running an effect in your studio, or one monster machine doing it all.
> I'd recommend the latter because of the noise the former could make may
> make audio recording difficult. But, thats your call, and if you happen
> to stumble across a whole load of cheap medium spec machines it may be
> the best option.

I don't think I need that much horsepower.

> If you are looking for a hardware box for each effect type, in a rack
> like setup,...then it's going to be tough trying to find a list of
> hardware compatability. Such a list is something that really needs to be
> put together asap. If there are any specific pieces of hardware you are
> looking at, give us a shout about them and I am sure people on this list
> will be happy to help investigate them.

What of these simple USB devices with 1/4 jacks?   There's one called
JamLab that looks pretty good.  But no idea if it'll work on linux.

And I've noticed that a lot of hardware comes with free software but
it all seems to run on windows or mac only.  Is that the case across
the board?  I noticed jamlab comes with sounds and loops libraries,
can I use those with linux software?

> Whichever way you go, the Behringer mixer is an excellent suggestion.

Will definitely have a look.