[linux-audio-user] Opening up the discussion

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Sun Jul 24 23:00:16 EDT 2005

Jono Bacon wrote:

>This moves me onto another point, and I would love to hear your
>thoughts on this. I have heard a few loose comments around different
>parts of the net that Ardour is not quite the same as other Open
>Source projects. I have heard that development occurs between a fairly
>limited set of developers, and only a few developers drive the
>direction of development. I also read somewhere that the testing team
>is restricted to a specific group of people and that the author may
>even charge for accessing the development version in the future. Is
>any of this true? How have you found the development of Ardour to be?
>I have not really looked into it, so these points I have heard may be
>rubbish, but I would love to hear your thoughts.

I've been an on-again/off-again lightweight tester for a while, but I'll
try to address those concerns.

I don't believe "restrictive" is the right term. CVS write access is of
limited to the core development and testing crews, and direct download
from CVS  by a normal user requires Paul's permission. For those who
don't want/need immediate CVS access, a nightly CVS snapshot is
available in a tarball. I'd say Paul is as "restrictive" as Linus Torvalds.

I doubt Paul would charge for the devel version. I've heard various
scenarios for making Ardour pay off in hard currency, but I think its
developers closer concern is to get 1.0 out the door in creditable shape.

Btw, you can check out Ardour development in realtime on its IRC
channel, #ardour on freenet. :)

Best,

dp