[linux-audio-user] Opening up the discussion

Christoph Eckert mchristoph.eckert at t-online.de
Mon Jul 25 05:52:41 EDT 2005

> That is the point, I absolutely dont feel reading up on
> something is necessarily a bad thing.  My hair stand up if
> I watch a typical no-clue windows user more or less
> randomly hitting buttons in the interface until "something"
> works.  I do feel this "it has to work out of the box
> without me having to know anything about it" attitude is
> childish.

There are two different things we should divide. There are
users who simply have no idea what they want to do. This is
the type you mentioned above and you're right.

OTOH, there are users who already have knowledge about a
certain task. These users will first try explore the UI
before reading docs.

Be honest: Do you read documentation when trying out a new
webbrowser or text processor? Certainly not. You know what
these tools are for, and you know how to deal with text
processors or web browsers.

The latter one is the target group we're discussing. Users who
already know about audio, audio synthesis and audio
processing.

Best regards

    ce