[linux-audio-user] Opening up the discussion

Christoph Eckert mchristoph.eckert at t-online.de
Mon Jul 25 07:26:46 EDT 2005

> Coming back now and learning about USB-MIDI and kernel
> latencies seems harder than I thought, because nowadays'
> machines are way faster than these in the old days (I
> started with a 286 and later had a P1). Now I'm reading
> since days, and still I don't really figure out basics
> like: are you guys still on kernel 2.4.x? Is it my attempt
> to use 2.6 which gets me into trouble?

Certainly not. I currently run a 1.6GHz P4 notebook with a
2.6.10 vanilla kernel with the RT-LSM-Module configured
(distro is Gentoo). I use a cheap Terratec USB card. I get
latencies about 16msecs. This is not first choice, but enough
for my personal needs (of course I'd prefer less
latency ;-) .

If you have any further problems, let us know, I guess we can
help you setting up your box.

Best regards

    ce