[linux-audio-user] running jack and non jack aware audio apps in the same time

Eric Robert roberteric at neuf.fr
Mon Jul 25 08:41:07 EDT 2005

Hi list,

for my needs as a musician i've configured my favorites audio apps to
run with jack (mainly xmms, rosegarden, timidity and audacity), as i
don't record anything yet but mainly transcript solos or compose midi
stuff , or play with band in a box (through wine). I use jack as it
makes it possible to open and use more than one app in the same time.

Great!

But sometimes i'd like to use non jack aware apps like sox (correct me
if i'm wrong) or mpg123 or others. Those won't run unless i kill jack!
How painfull as it is a very good friend of mine ;-)
dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
audio: Device or resource busy

In the jack diagram
(http://jackit.sourceforge.net/docs/diagram/JACK-Diagram-screensize.png)
i can see that non jack aware apps can run in the same time using either
the ALSA API or the OSS emulation layer.

How comes that i can't run, say mpg123, and jack in the same time?
xawdecode or xawtv for instance won't care if jack is running or not,
why not sox or mpg123?

Thanks
Eric