[linux-audio-user] Opening up the discussion

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki rzewnickie at rfa.org
Mon Jul 25 15:39:11 EDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 01:15:45AM +0100, Jono Bacon wrote:
> Hi all,
> This is an interesting point. One side of me thinks, "awesome, this
> solves the problem", but another side of me feels a little weird about
> requiring an entire customised OS to run audio software. Now,
> personally, I use my studio box just for audio, but I know some other
> posters on the list said that it should not be a requirement to use a
> computer just for audio stuff. I do agree here.
>
> To me, the integration issue seems largely a distribution problem.
> Issues such as making sound servers, LADSPA, Ardour and Jack talk
> together still seem difficult to solve. As I said before, the
> canonical test is to simply install Ardour and Jack and get it to
> work. Making this work and then using LADSPA and other bits still
> requires some knowledge of the infrastructure.

Demudi is a Custom Debian Distribution. In part that means that the
efforts made within demudi are intended to be fed back into the main
distro. Demudi could/should be seen as the testing and proving ground
for figuring out how to make all that stuff "just work" within the
larger Debian framework. Much of the work done on demudi has already
led to improvements on the audio front in mainstream debian.

> Thanks so much for the great feedback everyone. :)

likewise.

--
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki  |  Systems Administrator
Technical Operations Division  |  Radio Free Asia