[linux-audio-user] Opening up the discussion

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Mon Jul 25 16:19:09 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 21:11 +0100, james at dis-dot-dat.net wrote:
> I write my email in emacs.  You can browse the web with it too, if you
> like.  Personally, I've never wanted to, but who am I to tell people
> what Emacs shouldn't do?
>
> So, yes.  C-S isn't silly at all.  It makes perfect sense to the
> people most likely to use evolution.

If your goal is to present a coherent desktop environment to the user
then you cannot require them to use Ctrl-S and Ctrl-F to do the same
thing depending on which app they are using.  If we can't even agree on
that, then we have LONG way to go before the Linux desktop is usable.

Since we have a more powerful underlying architecture than Windows and
at least as good as OSX, there's no reason we should not be able to
present the same level of usability.  We are talking about taking a
small *subset* of the full functionality of a Unix-like system and
presenting it to the user as a coherent computing environment.  It
should really be trivial.

Lee