[linux-audio-user] Usability vs Intuitability in Ardour

Ben Loftis ben at glw.com
Mon Jul 25 16:46:29 EDT 2005

Here's my take on usability vs intuitiveness ( with credit to Jef Raskin who
probably said it better ):

Most professional audio gear is like a bicycle.  A bike is certainly not
intuitive to a first time user, but once you learn how to balance, steer,
etc, you can get around faster than someone on foot.  This has sometimes been
described as "intuitable" rather than intuitive.

Professional audio tools can look quite alarming to the novice but must allow
a pro facing a tight deadline to get his or her work done.  Ardour should
strive to be intuitable, not intuitive.  I think it is progressing in this
direction quite nicely.

-Ben Loftis

On Monday 25 July 2005 1:17 pm, linux-audio-user-request at music.columbia.edu