[linux-audio-user] Opening up the discussion

Shayne O'Connor forums at machinehasnoagenda.com
Mon Jul 25 19:54:37 EDT 2005

Brett McCoy wrote:
> Shayne O'Connor wrote:
>
>> too true ... i've gotten the idea from this thread that emacs is a
>> really powerful editor, that can do many a thing ... however, i'm too
>> busy figuring out how to install/configure programs to actually learn
>> how to use it. i mean, there should be *some* parts of linux that are
>> "plug-n-play" ... especially a text editor!!!!
>

> There are 'plug and play' text editors, like gedit or nano, and they are
> excellent for dealing with config files and README docs.  But emacs is
> more than just a text editor, it's essentially a text-based IDE and can
> do some very powerful things that the smaller editors can't.  But for
> the price of a higher learning curve.  Emacs is is still highly
> respected even on non-Unix platforms -- many Java IDEs like JBuilder or
> Eclipse will let you configure your editor keybindings to the emacs style.

yeah, i get the idea that it's more of a programmer's tool rather than
something ordinary users would use. which sort of makes it irrelevant in
the context of this discussion (?).

> And this is the point we keep coming back to -- for some things, the
> simpler 'click and use' software is just what is needed.  For other
> things, a deeper understanding and bigger learning curve will lead to
> more powerful capabilities that the former can't provide.

true. i think one of those linux keywords - "scalability" - should come
to the fore here ... most linux audio applications have the
potential/power to be "click and usable" for the beginner *as well as*
highly configurable in a more advanced/complicated way for the power user.

shayne