[OT] linux desktop usability (was Re: [linux-audio-user] Opening up the discussion)

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Mon Jul 25 20:16:23 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 09:56 +1000, Shayne O'Connor wrote:
> Lee Revell wrote:
> > For example try to use tab and the arrow keys to move the focus between
> > widgets in a GTK app.  You will find the behavior is completely baffling
> > and inconsistent, for example a different series of tab/shift-tab/arrows
> > to cycle forward 5 widgets vs. going backward.  This type of thing will
> > cause a Windows user to laugh out loud and tell you to get a real OS.
>
> except for a few bash and text editing key commands, i don't even bother
> ... there's no way in hell i'd remember them. i had trouble remembering
> my name yesterday when someone asked me. dementia, here i am.

Here's another example: in IE you can browse the web without a mouse by
using tab, enter, and alt-left/right arrow.

In Firefox it's impossible, because if you're tabbing through the links
on a page and hit "Enter" to follow a link, then use alt-left arrow to
go back, the focus gets reset to the top of the page.  IE restores the
focus to the previous location, so you could visit all the links on a
page by going enter, alt-left, tab, enter, alt-left, tab, etc...

Lee