[linux-audio-user] Opening up the discussion

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Tue Jul 26 05:21:38 EDT 2005

Wolfgang Lonien <wolfgang at lonien.de> writes:

> Mario Lang wrote:
>> Without realtime-preempt,
>> the xruns I am getting on my chipset are extreme, even though
>> I have a 2.2GHz CPU and use NO GUI AT ALL.  This is obviously
>> a problem, and a good reason for newbies to start of with a
>> distribution that has been optimized for audio from the start on.
>
> Hmmm hmmm - I don't find any realtime-preempt-packages in Debian/DeMuDi,
> except for kernel 2.4.
>
> Could someone pls help me on this - because Christophs tip with
> nrpacks=1 didn't change anything for me?

Well, my trust in USB soundcards is virtually zero.  Maybe
realtime-preempt will help you, maybe the device is the limit, I dont know.
You'll have to try.

IIRC, the -multimedia kernel from DeMuDi does have some
LL patches, but that is a wild guess since I dont actually use DeMuDi.
If the -multimedia kernel does not have RP patched in, you'll
have to patch a kernel with RP yourself to see if it helps.

--
CYa,
  Mario