[linux-audio-user] Opening up the discussion

Martin Habets errandir_news at mph.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Jul 26 07:34:11 EDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 12:57:27PM -0700, eviltwin69 at cableone.net wrote:
> >> One could argue that since search in Emacs has been ^s for ages, that
> >> those who use ^f are the ones who have broken convention for no good
> >> reason.
> >>

> >True, but the Emacs people should have put a stop to it years ago before
> >IE and Mozilla and Firefox made Ctrl-F the de facto standard.  Nowadays
> >if you want to integrate with the rest of the modern GUI desktop you'd
> >better play ball.
>
>     I disagree completely.  Those who wrote Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox, IE should
> have used the standard that was already in place.  Emacs even pre-dates Mosaic.
> Or should they all have used the / from vi for searches :-D  All of this really
> doesn't matter though, as Joe pointed out it's nice to have standards since there
> are so many ;-)

Just make key-bindings configurable some way. Maybe via .Xdefaults (or
.Xsession or whatever). But most humans can deal with using 2 or 3 different
standards at a time. Hell, it probably makes them feel like experts!

/ works to search in Firefox.
Surely Ctrl-S was used to stop scrolling on terminals since before emacs
was around. But that does not imply it's use is reserved for that purpose
only.

--
Martin