[linux-audio-user] Opening up the discussion

Christoph Eckert mchristoph.eckert at t-online.de
Tue Jul 26 12:36:04 EDT 2005

> I disagree violently with this line of reasoning.  Software
> should ALWAYS work the way the user expects it to unless
> there is a DAMN GOOD REASON, for example if you are
> offering a much more powerful interface than the user is
> used to.

Agreed. It's called the 'user model' vs. the 'software model'.
As soon as the software model doesn't fit the user model it
should be changed - exept there's a very good reason for
keeping the model.

> For example, most apps (Firefox and IE) use "Ctrl-F" to
> 'Find in page'. Except Evolution, which forces you to use
> "Ctrl-S" to 'Find (Search) in page', because they have
> already bound Ctrl-F to 'Forward message'.
>
> This is a MAJOR usability bug; "We didn't feel like doing
> it the normal way" is NEVER a "good reason" for usability
> purposes.

Ctrl - F doesn't search in the german open office. It sets
characters as Bold ("Fett" in german). Most other
applications use Ctrl - F, so I often want to search and
accidentally set characters to bold :( .

Best regards

    ce