[linux-audio-user] Usability vs Intuitability in Ardour

Dubphil dubphil at free.fr
Tue Jul 26 16:11:40 EDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 11:53:39AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> >  or play around in a sphaghetti mess of qjackctl to use stuff that
> > cant be used as a 'plugin' aka JAMIn and a bevy of midi-controlled
>
> i am sorry that you don't like the flexibility that JACK offers. most
> people seem to like it a lot once they used to it. i assume that you
> also not a fan of reason either, in which "a spaghetti mess" is
> literally the primary way to interconnect its modules, or max/msp or
> reaktor or pd, all 3 of which also very heavily feature "patching".
>
> one day, you will want to use JAMin without ardour, and at that point,
> you might grasp why JACK's modularity/patching model has some real
> benefits. and sure, if there was a *single* plugin API that satisfied
> everybody's needs and was supported by every single potential host
> program fully and correctly, then JACK would be more or less
> unnecessary. But no such API exists on any OS platform, and thats part
> of the reason why people like JACK, even on OS X.

To second this, I have switched to Linux for audio (I'm a linux user
since 2001 for all the rest) about one year ago exactly for the powerful flexibility of Jack. I will surely never look back again as i'm pretty sure that all the things in linux will get even more easyer, better, nicer with the time.

The second reason is, of course, the stability... I can now play music
during hours without any glitch pop or things that whas happenning
often on Windows (pointing the mouse in the top right of a window was
always something prohibited for me).

And Just for the story, before switching, I have been oriented by a Windows Audio Guru to optimize my windows XP for audio. When I saw the package he gave me, with all the stuff to replace, the registry keys to modify or add, the utilities to install etc, I was a little bit more confident to do the same job on my favorite OS :)

Regards

Philippe