[PlanetCCRMA] Re: [linux-audio-user] audacity and jack

pirrone pirrone at localnet.com
Thu Jul 28 23:20:44 EDT 2005

Mike Jewell wrote:

>>I think I read somewhere you can select the connection from inside
>>audacity, but not for other jack clients that were not there when
>>audacity started.
>>
>>The very "unjack" behavior of being connected only while playing is one
>>of the reasons I have not yet built a jack enabled audacity in Planet
>>CCRMA. I don't know if the culprit is portaudio itself or the code
>>inside audacity. Well, maybe I should build one anyway.
>>
>>-- Fernando
>>

>If a build of Audacity like this would simply let it talk to my sound
>card while JACK/Ardour are running, this would be a huge benefit since
>then I could easily use it to edit sound files exported from Ardour as
>in my other recent post.
>
>Mike
>Mike Jewell
>One-Up Audio

Mike,

Sorry, I haven't followed this thread and must surely have missed the
essence of your problem, but I thought I'd interject that running the
CCRMA Fedora Core QJackCtl, Ardour, and Audacity on my Dell 470 with an
Audigy2 sound card, I do not experience any problem running them both at
the same time.

I can jump back and forth between Ardour and Audacity and play them
alternately or or even simultaneously.  This is without selecting
anything at all - just run and start Jack with QJackCtl, run Ardour and
load a session, run Audacity and load a file, and have at it.

So, if this comment is irrelevant ignore it, but from my experience I
don't see your problem.

Frank