[linux-audio-user] jack xruns on SUSE 9.3 with Edirol UA25 card - SOLVED

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki rzewnickie at rfa.org
Fri Jul 29 12:43:59 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 11:52:37AM +0200, Florian Schmidt wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 05:11:22 +0200
> Cesare <cesare at poeticstudios.com> wrote:
> > I've tried also with a vanilla 2.6.11.7 with both the realtime preempt
> > and the realtime-lsm patch. And got even more xruns.
> > But maybe I haven't disabled some daemon or something else.
> Hmm,
> a realtime preempt kernel alone will not nessecarily do any good. You
> need to tune the irq handlers. If your network irq handler has a higher
> RT prio than the soundcard irq handler, xruns are preprogrammed.
> If you run RP make sure that:
> a] the soundcard irq has the highest prio in the system (i.e. around 90)
> b] all other irq's are left near their default (around 50)
> c] jackd's prio is inbetween (i use 70 with great results)
> If you then still get xruns, the hw is to blame [imho]. Or maybe a bug
> in RP patches. Use the latency diagnosis tools that the RP kernel
> provides to find out what part of the kernel produces the delays.

Hi Flo,

Is the wiki in a decently up to date state on this stuff?

I'll be away next week, but starting August 8th, I _will_ follow through
on chasing this down for the boxes I've got here.

For now, I'm going to disable the NICs and put in eepros.
--
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki  |  Systems Administrator
Technical Operations Division  |  Radio Free Asia