[linux-audio-user] New Sound Subsystem Needed For Qt4/KDE4

Christoph Eckert ce at christeck.de
Fri Jul 29 16:51:20 EDT 2005

> Apparently aRts could be removed from KDE4 CVS HEAD RSN. As
> far as I know there is no decision on an official
> replacement yet.

True.

> I have no say in the matter but I would
> like to see something like qjackctl ported to KDE4 and
> usable from within kcontrol, basically, Jack embedded into
> the system from the ground up.

This will not happen.

> My general question, to those who know far more than me, is
> just what would be the ideal sound subsystem for KDE in
> 2006 seeing there is a clean slate and an opportunity to
> get it right from the get go ?

I've been discussing this with Scott Wheeler on thios years
Linuxtag. Similar to Linus Torvalds, the KDE team simply
waits what will mature most until the day a decision must be
made.

I guess JACK will *not* be an option for the KDE team because
it's not configured on every distro per default and JACK
isn't platform independent.

For this reasons, it seems to be more probable that something
like gestreamer will be chosen, and gstreamer will then have
a JACK sink.

For audio stuff, I dislike it, I'd like to see JACK beconimg a
standard desktop soundserver.

But gstreamer has some further advantages: It's not specific
for audio only. For example (if I got it right) it can also
provide a video stream from one device to multiple
applications, so it also solves one problem JACK solved for
audio for video applications.

I personally would be happy if JACK would be chosen, so we had
*one* *tru* solution for desktop as well as for professional
use, comparable to coreaudio on Mac OS X. But I fear that
there will be another decision and this will again delay
finding *the* *true* solution :( .

I include Scott Wheeler in the CC of this mail.

Best regards

    ce