[linux-audio-user] daily-use mixer for jack

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Jul 30 18:39:06 EDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 00:37 +0200, Leonard "paniq" Ritter wrote:
> On Sunday 31 July 2005 00:24, Paul Davis wrote:
> > you can hook everything up through a given app (e.g. jackmix, i think
> > its called; or ardour) to get global volume control.
>
> you know thats not exactly what i was looking for.
>
> i wonder why such an interface is missing from the jack engine? jack can use
> different backends than alsa. in case of alsa, there wouldnt be any problems
> having a final mixer, but for anything else there is nothing.

because it would require a JACK API that related to hardware mixers in
general. audio interfaces come with widely differing styles of h/w
mixers, some come with none at all. we are absolutely not interested in
attempting to have JACK, which has become as popular as it has precisely
because of the level of abstraction it represents, descend down to the
level of providing volume control.

for OSS, there are h/w mixer apps.

for CoreAudio, there are h/w mixer apps.

for ALSA, there are h/w mixer apps.

JACK does not control the h/w mixer. It doesn't do it to control the
choice of which signal stream is used for capture or playback, and it
won't do it to provide a mixing API.

--p