[linux-audio-user] Newbie Linux user Struggling with MIDI

Christoph Eckert ce at christeck.de
Sun Jul 31 17:10:16 EDT 2005

> I did find alsaconf in the KDE menu -

It's a shell script and it will be most likely not in the K
menu.

Open a terminal window, type su...

> Debian/Apps/System/Admin/Alsaconf
> but it wants me to log in as root (not as sudo su) and I
> don't  recall the password I set...arrg!

...and enter the root passphrase, then type /sbin/alsaconf.

OTOH, Paul Davis threw in that it's not an ALSA problem but a
JACK one. Try setting the parameters on the command line or
in qjackctl as he recommended instead of running alsaconf.

BTW: Never forget the root password! But before you reinstall:
there are ways to reset the root passphrase...

Best regards

    ce