[linux-audio-user] Managing instruments

Ryan Heise rheise at it.uts.edu.au
Sun Jul 31 22:30:34 EDT 2005

On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 08:51:26PM +0200, Peter Brinkmann wrote:
> Let's see whether I got this right: You want a MIDI router with
> one input port and several output ports,

Pretty much. For example, suppose my virtual band has:

- Bass
- Drumkit
- Rhodes
- etc.

When I'm at home, I'd like to plug in to my external Bass synth. When
I'm away from home, I'd like to use the software synth on my computer.
When we're rehearsing with an actual Bass player, I'd like to turn off
the Bass line and let the real Bass player play over the top (I realise
this last case is a little different, but it would be good if this
feature were also integrated into the same tool).

> My standard approach to problems of this kind is to just hack
> together a few dozen lines of throwaway Python code as I need
> them. The job you describe shouldn't take much more than that.
> (And it just happens that I recently added some functionality
> to my Python bindings for accessing sequencer clients and their
> ports by name:)

I'm imagining the script/program needs to interpret the midi data in
order to route it. Is that a simple matter or a difficult one?

Thanks,

Ryan