[linux-audio-user] System Path - Basic Information

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Fri Jun 3 12:16:52 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 11:49, Tom Charles-Edwards wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> newbie alert:
>
> I'm looking for some basic info about the system path, e.g. what its for, how it relates to read/write/execute privileges for directories, and tips on what to do/not to do - particularly in terms of installing and running applications.

    Not really much to it.  The system PATH is where the system searches
for commands.  As far as privileges are concerned you just have to have
execute privileges to the executables and directories.  Generally, both
directories and executables are 755 (rwxr-xr-x).  Most tar.gz packages
will install by default in /usr/local/bin - which is normally in your
PATH.

Jan