[linux-audio-user] System Path - Basic Information

Tom Charles-Edwards tomcharles-edwards at fsmail.net
Sun Jun 5 05:55:08 EDT 2005

> Message date : Jun 03 2005, 10:07 PM
> From : "Jan Depner" <eviltwin69 at cableone.net>
> To : tomcharles-edwards at fsmail.net, "A list for linux audio users" <linux-audio-user at music.columbia.edu>
> Copy to :
> Subject : Re: [linux-audio-user] System Path - Basic Information
>
> On Fri, 2005-06-03 at 11:49, Tom Charles-Edwards wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > newbie alert:
> >
> > I'm looking for some basic info about the system path, e.g. what its for, how it relates to read/write/execute privileges for directories, and tips on what to do/not to do - particularly in terms of installing and running applications.
> >

>     Not really much to it.  The system PATH is where the system searches
> for commands.  As far as privileges are concerned you just have to have
> execute privileges to the executables and directories.  Generally, both
> directories and executables are 755 (rwxr-xr-x).  Most tar.gz packages
> will install by default in /usr/local/bin - which is normally in your
> PATH.
>
> Jan

<doh>

Thanks for that.

If software installs into my home directory instead is that a sign of something horrible happening, or am I OK simply copying the application across to /usr/local/bin and carrying on as normal? I take it putting my home directory in the system path is not the way forward, on security grounds.

I was also wondering about editing the system path. From what I can gather from a cursory google the system path can be edited temporarily to affect a specific shell, or  system-wide. The files that I've seen mentioned in this context are:

/etc/login.defs
/home/tom/.bashrc
/home/tom/.bash_profile

login.defs has 2 lines in it that seem to specify the system path (normal and su), but when I edit the line for the normal user and do echo $PATH there's no change to the system path.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Tom

</doh>

--