[linux-audio-user] disaster day #1

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Mon Jun 6 20:10:34 EDT 2005

Greetings:

  I've been having some problems with my desktop machine during and
after booting into Planet CCRMA RH9. At first I started getting some
kernel panics booting into the system, then I started having trouble
during operation of the system. X would suddenly freeze shortly after I
started it, usually after the first mouse move.

  Okay, so I don't panic because I have another drive in the same box
running FC3, so I figure I'll just boot into that system instead and
transfer files before everything heads south. At first everything seemed
fine on that drive, but soon after I started using it FC3 started
showing the same symptoms with sudden reboots and total freezes of the
machine.

  I've been able to transfer a lot of stuff to my laptop via the local
network, but mounting the RH9 drive is very dangerous, things can freeze
at any moment. Alas, there's still stuff on that drive that I'd like to
retrieve.

  So there's something wrong with the box. Can anyone point me in the
right direction to begin troubleshooting this machine ? Could it be RAM
? The graphics card ? Or what ?? And how can I test things on the
hardware side, i.e., what utilities are indicated ?

  Any and all suggestions vastly appreciated.

Best,

dp