[linux-audio-user] [OT] disaster redux

Jody Noury jody.noury at linucie.net
Sat Jun 11 14:16:48 EDT 2005

Hi,

Dave Phillips a écrit :
> Greetings:
>
>  It has not been a good week.
>
>  As I mentioned yesterday I swapped my hardware into an identical box as
> my original machine.
Which hardware did you swap ? HD, memory, alim ?

>  Today I powered up the box, logged on to the net, downloaded the latest
> Csound CVS and started compiling. After a few minutes everything froze
> again, the machine was locked tight as a drum.
Did you look at your system log ?

  I had to pull the plug to
> restart, but when grub came up my keyboard was frozen. I pulled the plug
> again and got my keyboard back after restarting.
You should look your temperature when it freeze and if possible when
running.

>  Now I'm running memtest again. I realized yesterday that I'd run it on
> only one RAM stick so I thought I'd better check again. However, at this
> point I'm starting to suspect a bad drive.
You can eliminate this possibilities using a live-cd distrib like
Knoppix which runs in memory.

  But *two* bad drives in the
> system ?? As I mentioned in an earlier message, the machine failure
> occurred regardless of which drive I was using (RH9 on /dev/hdb, FC3 on
> /dev/hda).
It could be a problem with dma ? what about hdparm ?

>  So I'm bummed again. Looks like it's time to bite the bullet and buy a
> whole new system. :(

All your system should not be bad.

Jody