[linux-audio-user] [OT] disaster redux

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at fuse.net
Sat Jun 11 23:59:20 EDT 2005

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your system. Although the
following is very unlikely as your system has been working for some time
before this had occurred, sometimes memory stick positioning as well as
type/quality of the memory chips can cause all kinds of headaches. Not that
I am suggesting that you may have done so, but from my custom computer
building experience I've come to conclusion that one should never skimp out
on buying top quality memory chips, followed by equally important mobo and
power supply choices (and now for obligatory "sales pitch," ;-) for good,
yet affordable memory sticks my recommendation would be crucial.com--even
though I am not affiliated with them at all, I've had a few very positive
experiences with them). Furthermore, in the past I've had situations when
memtest-like programs failed to report any problems but the memory was
nonetheless faulty.

Finally, as last piece of advice (although this is very unlikely as you've
tried 2 different machines at this point), check whether your video card is
overheating as that will certainly freeze your system (as it gets older, the
heat dissipating silicone between processor and the heating grill becomes
less and less efficient).

Best of luck!

Ivica Ico Bukvic, composer & multimedia sculptor
http://meowing.ccm.uc.edu/~ico/