[linux-audio-user] rtlimits - help?

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Tue Jun 14 13:28:13 EDT 2005

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 11:20:18 -0400
Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:

> Yes this is exactly what it is.  Previously you had rlimits (set by PAM
> at login, or manually via ulimit) for max locked memory, max open files,
> etc.  Now there's a new one for max RT priority.  It's even simpler than
> realtime LSM IMHO because it doesn't introduce a new API.
>
> Some buggy apps like Audacity seem to not be able to handle this,
> because they try to create their own watchdog thread at RT priority 99.
> If the rlimit is set to 90 they will succeed at creating the DSP threads
> but fail to create the watchdog thread.

So basically it uses the exact same framework as the ulimit/rlimit stuff
does? Should we expect to see ulimit extended to this? Probably not, as
we have set_rtlimits now.

btw: do you have some pointers for docs about all this rlimit stufF? My
google searches seem to be terribly unsuccessful. And does any
distribution have an informative manpage for ulimit? The debian page
seems to only describe the -f option. All other options seem to be
passed from user to user in a tribal knowledge sort of way. And the
ulimit output when no options are given isn't very informative either..

Anyone reported this audacity bug to its author? Or should I?

Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://affenbande.org/~tapas/