[linux-audio-user] What parts of Linux audio simply suck ?

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Sun Jun 19 16:01:39 EDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-19 at 12:42 -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
>    MULTIPLE SOUNDS:
>
>    looks like dmix solves the problem but it seems like it's not that
> easy to set it up (I haven't tried since I have soundcard with hw
> support for multiple channels).

Fixed in ALSA 1.0.9.

>    SOUNBLASTER LIVE MIXER:
>
>    total mystery

This was never really an ALSA problem.  The confusion due to the large
number of mixer elements is resolved with recent versions of alsamixer
(by splitting the controls into Playback and Capture), and the Gnome
2.10 mixer now only displays the 4 or 5 most important controls by
default.

> , no master control etc.

I agree that this is still a bug.  Should be fixed in the next ALSA
release.  Until then it's trivial to work around, and could in fact be
solved 100% in the mixer apps.

>    PORTABILITY:

No comment.

Lee