[linux-audio-user] ubunto + realtime performance

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Jun 20 11:46:26 EDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 05:26:11PM +0200, Atte Andr? Jensen wrote:

> Basically because unstable is sometimes a bit too unstable for me (and
> stable is too old, or at least was a month ago...).

That was pretty much my reason.

> Let's see. The impression I get (from my LUG, for instance) is that
> quite a lot of hardcore debian/gentoo users have switched, and are
> praising ubunto quite a lot.

Well, I have no love for Gentoo, but Debian was my favorite until I gave
Ubuntu a shot.

So far the small amount of typicical linux audio work I've tried hasn't
been hard.

A few systems at work run Ubuntu and do some fairly heavy pro
audio/video work, but they use video cards with closed source drivers, and
custom audio cards, also with closed source audio drivers, and, of
course, closed source applications written specifically for that
hardware combo.  ALSA and jack are not used at all and audio latency is
adequate.