[linux-audio-user] Re: What parts of Linux audio [need improvement]

Christoph Eckert mchristoph.eckert at t-online.de
Mon Jun 20 18:22:31 EDT 2005

> 2.  Audacity is my editor of choice, but it's not happy
> with JACK.

it uses portaudio, a cross platform portability layer / audio
abstraction layer.

[...]

> 5.  Easy integration into distributions isn't mature yet.
>  Mandrake has been improving a lot in this area with each
> version.  In fact I usual choose to upgrade when they
> support something new in the sound area.  It's great to
> have things like CCRMA, and previously Thac, but
> distributions should really get on board here.

Aren't there any Thac packages anymore for Mandrive? If so,
when did Thac drop the support for Mandriva? It's important,
because I planned to mention the Thac packages in my talk on
Thursday.

[...]

> 8.  Vendor, e.g. soundcard makers, support of Linux is not
> universal. Many vendors are moving to firewire, and Linux
> doesn't yet support that via open or closed drivers that
> I'm aware of.

true, but there's hope:

http://freebob.sf.net

Best regards