[linux-audio-user] demudi install confusion

robin robin at rektau.ukfsn.org
Sat Jun 25 21:27:47 EDT 2005

Greg wrote:
> hello list,
> I've been lurking since I decided to install demudi on my xp system.
> So far I've cooked my XP install twice in the process...  I've checked
> FAQs and other guides and no luck yet. Here's what I'm doing.
> demudi 1.2.0 iso, using the default installer
> I run  linux26 dmraid (SATA drive)
> partitioning:
> 15gb XP ntfs
> 2.5gb linux swap (aside: is this too big or should i go by the 1.5x
> rule and do 3?  I have 2 gigs of ram)
> 4gb "  /  " partition
> 150gb "/home" partition
> everything but the xp partition is a "logical" partition.
> Now, I want to be able to keep XP's MBR intact.  The first install i
> totally goofed.  The next time I tried to get it to install GRUB to a
> floppy, I couldn't figure out if I should use /dev/fd1 or /floppy or
> what and it just hung.  Now I've read that once everything's groovy
> it's not too complicated to make a linux boot instruction to add in
> xp's boot.ini, but I need to get this up in the first place.
> So...
> 1. are these good partition sizes?
> 2. is there a good install guide that talks about using the default installer?
> 3. is there a better way to install demudi / how can I do what I'm trying to do?
> thanks hope this is list-appropriate etc.

Hi

1:) I run demudi but *not* with a full gnome or kde installation. Disk
usage for "/"  is 6.1GB
All program and library packages live under "/" as well as the system
stuff therefore you should allow at least 20GB to give room for new
programs and updates especially if you want full gnome and kde install

2&3:) If you haven't already checked it out have a look at:

http://demudi.agnula.org/wiki/InstallCdRom

or

http://demudi.agnula.org/wiki/InstallApt

Also Demudi 1.2.1 is very near release, most of the users on the demudi
list (http://lists.agnula.org/mailman/listinfo/users) are running 1.2.1.
If you want the cdrom image it is here:

http://download.agnula.org/1.2/1.2.1/

as well as some info about it (README*)