[linux-audio-user] streaming web audio problems

Maarten de Boer mdeboer at iua.upf.es
Thu Jun 30 04:27:24 EDT 2005

Hi Anahata,

I don't know, but to me it seems this playlist should work, and there
is no protection whatsoever. The only thing I see it that the hostname
in the URL is not correct.

I went to the page you mentioned, looked at the embed tag, and downloaded the m3u.

$ wget http://radiobritfolk.co.uk/billboard/PL_217.m3u

(The number seems generated, and only valid for a while)

I look in the m3u and see URL's like:
http://www.limbocreatives.co.uk/britfolk/billboard/BB_178_Vikings.mp3

However:
$ host www.limbocreatives.co.uk
Host www.limbocreatives.co.uk not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

So I make a wild guess, and do:
$ wget http://radiobritfolk.co.uk/billboard/BB_178_Vikings.mp3

And I download the mp3 without a problem. (And I listened to it,
and deleted it right away, because this music gets on my nerves
instantly ;-) )

If the URL's in the m3u would have been correct, I am sure that clicking
on the m3u (if that would have been an option) would have opened xmms for me. And I am pretty sure that even the embed tag would have worked if I would have had the mplayerplug-in installed.

mplayerplug-in.sourceforge.net

But I, for one, _hate_ websites that unadvertitely start playing sounds.

Anyway, I think the best solution for streaming music from a website, is
icecast. It will stream (but it will not stop anyone from grabbing that
stream). But, of course, e. j. branagan comment is totally true. (It's
often refered to as the "analog hole"). If you can hear it, you can record it.

maarten